Following the recent storms in the Houston area, President Obama issued a major disaster declaration for Harris County. In response, the State Bar of Texas, Texas Young Lawyers Association, and the ABA Young Lawyers Division have joined forces to assist low-income individuals affected by the severe weather.
A toll-free legal line is now open (800-504-7030); calls are being accepted 24 hours a day. Issues that will be addressed include:
• Assistance securing FEMA and other government benefits available to disaster victims
• Assistance with life, medical, and property insurance claims
• Help with home repair contracts and contractors
• Replacement of wills and other important legal documents lost or destroyed in the disaster
• Consumer protection issues such as price-gouging and avoiding contractor scams in the rebuilding process
• Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems
• Counseling on landlord-tenant problems
More details are available from the American Bar Association, along with contact information for FEMA and the Small Business Administration, and from the State Bar of Texas.
See also Disaster Relief Resources from the State Bar of Texas and National Disaster Legal Aid.